Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Rude Old people don't get a pass

I am at the CVS today and there is one person ahead of me at the counter. While I am waiting with groceries and toiletries in hand, a little old Betty White wannabe walks towards the line and stands in front of me. She blatantly ignores the 5'11" inches (wearing my fave 5" pumps today), 100 and few pounds of pearl draped woman that is Me.

What the hell!!

I am conflicted. Do I say something to this geriatric? I could give her the benefit of the doubt, she is so old that she doesn't see me. Do I school her in Etiquette 101? But she was obviously alive during the 'good old days' when ladies wore white gloves and men still opened car doors. Do I let it go because she is knocking on deaths door? At that age, maybe she just does not want to waste precious time standing in line?

Here is what I did. I used what I have. I have youth, vigor, strength, speed, agility and the will to check this rude octogenarian. When the cashier was done with the customer ahead, I engaged my cat-like reflexes and sprang to the counter ahead of her. I left her in my dust to ponder how this whipper-snapper got there before she did.

I could have been gracious and waved her ahead, but she was rude on several levels.

  1. Failure to acknowledge me. Eye contact. Wink. Blow a bloody kiss. 
  2. Failure to kindly ask that I allow her ahead of me. I would have done it. Really.
  3. Failure to take the time that we stood there to eventually say something/anything.


Class and courtesy does not come with age or by osmosis. It is a learned behavior. Rude kids become rude teens. Rude teens become rude adults. Rude adults become rude old people. I don't let kids get away with being rude, so no one else gets a pass either.

I pray that when I am old, and forget the names of the Kardashians, I don't forget my manners.



No comments:

Post a Comment