Monday, November 8, 2010

Speak up or I'll hang up

How long should we listen to dead air when the phone rings?


It's so silly when the phone rings, I pick up and there is nothing but dead air.  The silence is initially confusing, as I first wonder if the phone rang at all. Then I do the, 'pull the phone away from my ear to look at the number again' move. If it's a friend, I have a little more patience and spend a little more time to figure out if they are kidnapped and can only dial and can't speak. It could also be a pocketbook dial, and in that case I stay on the line to be nosy :-) I am not even kidding, don't pocketbook dial me. If I have time, I am staying on the line for a minute to listen to you gossip, confess, work, play, etc.

Otherwise, I say "hello" twice and if I don't receive an answer, I hang up. If it's business, be professional and be prepared. If it's personal, you called me, you should be prepared.

How long do you wait before you hang up?

No comments:

Post a Comment