Friday, September 24, 2010

Speaker-phone Etiquette

I was having a string of bad luck.  Then to top it all off, I had a minor accident. It had a greater impact on me than it should have and I just crumbled into a messy emotional heap.  

My friend called to check in on me and ask how I was feeling.  I broke down like a blubbering fool.  During this meltdown, I realized that she had me on speaker-phone. The other listening party is her fiancé.  

It made me very uncomfortable.  I am not close friends with him and in all fairness, would never have crossed paths with him, if they were not a couple.  The nature of my friendship with him does not involve us calling each other to share the events of life and feelings.  We see each other, when I see her and I am cool with that.

I prefer to not make a spectacle of myself if I can help it.  Having witnesses to a horrible reaction to what was the culmination of bad weeks and days is not cool with me.  

That was an extreme example, however, it is clear that proper etiquette, polite behavior and consideration means that you tell the person on the phone that they are on speaker.  Otherwise, would be the equivalent of eavesdropping and ambush.  

Every participant in a conversation should be fully aware of the other parties in a conversation.  People should announce entrance and exit from conversations.  Sometimes, you may just 'drop in' in the middle of a chat. That's okay, but announce yourself unless you feel that people wont speak freely and comfortably around you. If that is the case, you should be mature enough to confront someone you think has a problem with you versus playing games.

No comments:

Post a Comment